What If? Metropolis: Reflective Statement


When reflecting back on this project, I feel that I have managed my time much more accordingly compared to my first project. Although having a troublesome start at  the beginning of the project. For example,  when trying to first create a concept of what purpose this city serves, and how the buildings should be designed, keeping in mind my collaborative artist Tony Cragg. This resulted in some delayed OGR. However, I feel that though I first struggled, once I finally set on an idea I was happy with I could get straight to work, leading to a much quicker work flow.

As this was my first real attempt at building something in Maya without following a tutorial, I found it really hard to create my buildings. Yet, through some time playing around with the software, and a few inputs from Simon, I was finally able to create what I had envisioned.

Once I had finally created my buildings, the next milestone was creating my textures. This was a part of the project that I enjoyed the most, as I was able to add the details, and designs I had first created in my concept art that I was worried would get lost in the final 3D render.

If I was to redo any part of this project, I would spend more time thinking about the composition of my final render, and the angle. As I feel that I haven't captured the scale of the city. Along with not showcasing my hero prop as I would have wanted. I would instead move the camera lower so that the viewer would then see the top of the building, showing the scale, however as I did not completely finish the top this idea was too delayed that it was not able to be changed later.

Overall, I believe the city turned out better than I had first anticipated, as I was worried about using Maya to create something , that I  had designed, for the first time. I feel this has been a massive learning experience where I learnt multiple lessons when it comes to Maya. (including naming groups, textures etc) However, next time I think I should consider the smaller details such as angles and composition, as this has a big effect on the final render, and the image it portrays to the viewer.

Comments

Popular Posts